Royal Charter International Research Award for Young Constructors 2021
The Worshipful Company of Constructors, in collaboration with the BRE Trust, would like to invite applicants for the Royal Charter International Research Award for Young Constructors.
We are seeking exceptional young individuals from the construction sector to undertake an innovative, topical study relating to construction, planning, design systems and processes or a market study in a country(s) or with other collaborators based in another country of their choice. The findings of the study must also have wider construction sector relevance.
This year’s competition is focusing on topics which address the need to improve the resilience of physical assets to changing external factors; including climate, urbanisation or economic shifts.
The winning applicant will receive £8,000 towards the cost of their study and the BRE Trust will actively support the researcher to disseminate their work widely.
- The award is open to applicants aged 21-40
- The applicant will have achieved or will be working towards a recognised qualification for constructors
- Applicants will be expected to be in employment and have full support for the study from their employer
- The location of the applicant is not restricted but he or she must be available to attend quarterly review meetings (face to face or online), a final presentation of the findings and The Constructors Awards Dinner, held in London in February 2021.
- The study period is approx. 18 months, starting in March 2021 with completion of the final outputs by October 2022.
Format of application
Applicants are invited to submit:
- An application form, which includes a maximum of 500 words summary to explain the nature of their suggested study, the methodology they intend to adopt, to demonstrate how the study would be used in the industry and also how it will help achieve significant personal development for the applicant.
Please download and save the application form before filling it out, otherwise details will not be saved
- A copy of your CV, including details on your career progression so far, qualifications and any other awards or affiliations. 2 pages max.
Where to send your entry
Send both PDF documents to BRE Trust Secretariat by 31st October 2020.
What happens next?
The award recipient will be selected in November 2020 and the winner informed in December 2020. The award presented at The Worshipful Company of Constructors’ Livery and Awards dinner in February 2021.
The most recent winner of the award was Dr Alistair Marsh, whose research is addressing “The use of rice husk ash as a substitute for cement in stabilised earth blocks”. Further information on his project can be accessed here.
Other previous winners include:
Dr Ricardo Codinhoto, whose research addressed “BIM and Waste Management” and the video dissemination can be found here
Dr Zulfikar Adamu, whose research addressed “Customised, virtual-reality health and safety training” whose video can be found here.
For further information contact BRE Trust Secretariat